David Trembath, PhD
Griffith Health Institute, Griffith University
Olga Tennison Autism Research Centre, La Trobe University
- 13 months old and typically developing.
- He is not yet using words and is frustrated at mealtimes.
- His parents acknowledge that it is normal at this age for him to not yet be using words, but they would like to support his language development and thus help him reduce his frustration.
- To develop strategies to encourage his development of words.
- To evaluate the effectiveness of the strategies.
Think of a client with whom you are currently working and a behaviour that you are looking to establish, increase, or decrease. Now ask yourself the questions on the previous slide, in order to decide whether you are willing to move beyond simply describing changes in that behaviour over time, to examining the effect of your intervention.